Sunday, August 19, 2012

Iron Hill Brewery and Restaurant

Photography by Fitz
For many years I've been a big fan of the Delaware Valley brew pub chain Iron Hill. Since the Lancaster location opened, it's been a preferred location for family gatherings. Out of all the brew pubs in the York/Lancaster/Harrisburg area, I'd probably rank Iron Hill in the top two or three. The only knocks I have on Iron Hill are that their year-round beers are kind of pedestrian and their food is a tad pricey for pub fare. But their seasonal beers are always phenomenal, and the food is usually good enough to justify the cost.

Our latest trip to Iron Hill, back on August 1st, was satisfying as always. I always go right to their large selection of seasonal beers. They had several interesting choices on tap, but I went with an ale called a Smokin' Brunette. It was the best beer I've ever had at Iron Hill - a blend of light chocolate malt and Belgian yeast with a touch of cherry wood smoke. Mmmmmmm! I dream of the day when they'll bottle this concoction. I saw that they had an old school session ale made with corn called the Tailgater. Since my dad was quite the fan of American lagers in the late '60s and early '70s, I suggested he try the Tailgater. I don't think he was disappointed. I usually like to try two different beers when I go to Iron Hill, but I was so in love with the Smokin' Brunette that I had another.

Food-wise, it was the usual solid showing from Iron Hill. The chips and guacamole were passable but probably not up to Mexican restaurant standards. No big deduction there. The Brewmaster's egg roll sampler (cheesesteak, Buffalo chicken, and Oktoberfest) is something we get almost every time we go. It's not cheap, but that doesn't stop us from ordering it. It was up to its usual standards Wednesday night. An Iron Hill specialty for sure! Surprise, surprise - for my entree I ordered a burger! I went with the Santa Fe Burger, topped with poblano peppers, pepper jack cheese, and a chipotle dressing. While not the best burger I've had this year, it was probably a close second. It was immensely flavorful and perfectly cooked. Unlike certain other places, Iron Hill doesn't think that "medium" means "medium well". The sweet potato fries, always a standout at Iron Hill, seem to have gotten fatter. I ain't complaining. Tami, a true connoisseur of pizza, ordered a simple pepperoni pizza and liked it quite a bit. If she's giving it the thumbs up, it's got to be good. Pizza is one of those things you ought to do well if you're a brew pub.

Let's go to the FABS scale:
Food- Cook my burger perfectly, and I have to give you solid marks. Be sure to try the meatloaf. 22/25
Atmosphere- Basically it's like an upscale sports bar. It's classy, loud, and fun. 21/25
Beer- You can never go wrong with the seasonals. 23/25
Service- I've been to Iron Hill at least a dozen times, and I can't say I've ever had poor service. 23/25

Total - 89 (out of 100)

And since my father was present, we may also include the George Scale on this occasion. I believe his exact words were "superb", an unprecedented superlative exceeding even the "excellent" he gave The Corner Stable. He loves the gumbo.

If you like brew pubs, the Delaware Valley is the place to be. Beer-wise, I'd say Iron Hill isn't quite at the level of a Victory or even a Sly Fox. But food-wise, I'd give Iron Hill the edge.

-Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment